Joint Press Statement
A statement of Appreciation for the Permanent Cessation of Hostilities and Call for Commitment
For Amharic statement – https://ethdefenders.org/wp content/uploads/2022/11/Amharic-statement-on-the-peace-deal.pdf
We the undersigned local Civil Society Organizations appreciate that the government of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia (FDRE) and the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) have signed an agreement to the permanent cessation of hostilities and restoration of the constitutional order. We admire the courage and determination the parties demonstrated to reach the peace agreement.
We also appreciate the determination of the African Union and members of the
international community to support the parties to reach a negotiated agreement to bring about an end to this conflict. We also encourage the FDRE government to further demonstrate its commitment to restorative justice along with peacebuilding.
It is our sincere belief that the FDRE government and the TPLF will honor the
agreement and effectively implement it. We further call upon the African Union and the international community to render unreserved support for the implementation of the peace agreement as well as the restoration and reconstruction efforts that would follow. As civil society actors in Ethiopia, we hereby express our commitment and readiness to support the peacebuilding and reconstruction efforts in the northern part of the country.
The CSOs jointly signed this statement are:
1. Center for Advancement of Rights and Democracy (CARD)
2. Ethiopian Human Rights Defenders Center (EHRDC)
3. Ethiopian Women Lawyers Association (EWLA)
4. Association of Human Rights in Ethiopia (AHRE)
5. Network of Ethiopian Women Associations (NEWA)
6. Union of Ethiopian Women and Children Associations (UEWCA)
7. The consortium of Ethiopian Human Rights Organizations (CEHRO)
8. Setaweet Movement
9. Lawyers for Human Rights (LHR)
10. Ethiopian Women Rights Advocate (EWRA)
11. InterAfrica Group
12. Inclusive Vision for Democratic Ethiopia
13. Women’s Alliance for Peace and Social Justice